This year’s Low Res programme started with a cyanotype workshop run by Matt from the British Library.
Following an introduction to the process and a range of discussions of possibilities, we proceeded with practical experimentation. Most participants collaged photocopies on acetate of sources from the British Library. With Jonathan’s help, I managed to download and print two copies of my paintings.
During the coating stage, my intention was to contradict smoothness and eve was of the chemical film on the surface. I wanted to achieve a more uncertain and unpredictable effect. I used sponge brushes in a spontaneous and dynamic way, trying to create a layered and broken effect.
Unfortunately, the light from the strip lights was powerful enough to begin exposing the paper before it had a chance to dry. I resulted to aiding this process with a hair dryer and protected the pieces from further damage by storing them in a black plastic bag.